Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween in Sevilla


Well, I think it safe to say that Halloween has invaded Spain! According to my Spanish friends, this is a somewhat recent phenomenon and has only really taken root in the last five years or so. In that time, costume parties have moved out of the international traveler hostels and Irish pubs where they were once confined to all parts of the city. Some of the local mercados even sell pumpkins for carving.

Spaniards consider the holiday to be a thoroughly U.S. tradition, and one known to them by way of the movies. Although it's mainly popular with the teenager and university crowd, Halloween is beginning to gain popularity with a younger and older set. Last Monday, I met my friend Antonio, an English teacher for children ages 3-5, to help him plan a Halloween party for his students. In addition to teaching him valuable vocabulary words like "Jack-o-lantern," I was able to finally demystify (at least I hope) the complex process behind "trick or treating."

I didn't have my camara with me Saturday evening, but I was able to capture a few photos from around town earlier in the week. The one at top was taken in front of a costume store about two blocks from my place. The goulish figure advertising a costume party was actually found in the window of a Tex-Mex joint not far from the Cathedral. The costumes behind glass in the last photo were captured in what I have labeled city's "garment district" between a pair of bridal stores. Unfortunately, I did not catch a photo of the gelato store that I think would have deserved the award for best decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment